Tempe Criminal Defense Attorney
Getting accused of, arrested for, or charged with a crime is one of the darkest times you will most likely ever face. The guidance and support of a trusted Tempe criminal defense attorney, like those with The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC, can help to restore hope by assisting you in obtaining a more favorable outcome.
Felony, misdemeanor, possession, assault, theft, fines, prison. When these words are applied to you by an officer or court of law, it can impact every aspect of your life. Your job, family, and even freedom are all at stake when you are up against criminal charges.
When you face big consequences, you need an aggressive attorney dedicated to defending your rights and working to quickly obtain the best possible results for your case. At The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC, our goal is to help you resume your life as quickly as possible and with as few impacts as possible.
The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC has the dedication, experience, and perspective to fight for the best possible outcome for your case. Whether you’re dealing with charges related to a DUI, a violent crime, a felony, or a drug crime, The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC is client-focused and results-driven.
Call The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC at (480) 630-1143 for a Free Consultation!
Skilled Criminal Defense Lawyer
With experience developing and implementing proven and effective defense strategies, The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC focuses on the unique aspects of your case to determine the best technique for achieving your desired results.
While no attorney can ever guarantee a particular outcome for a client, The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC commits to being accessible, prepared, and dedicated to using all the resources at our disposal to either prove your innocence or reduce the impacts of your sentencing.
Our attorney approaches every criminal defense case with impressive legal resourcefulness, sharp negotiation skills, meticulous insight, and fierce representation. When your freedom, relationships, and reputation are on the line, you need a legal partner who is motivated to develop effective methods for your defense. Our job is to not only defend you, but also to ensure you are informed of all potential outcomes and all processes related to your case so you can make smart decisions for your defense and future.
Among the types of cases that The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC handles are:
Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
It is highly possible that you correctly feel that your DUI charge is unfair. Research shows that most people charged and arrested for DUI didn’t have that much to drink and haven’t actually violated the law.
In a lot of cases, officers are just improperly trained, leading them to poorly administer field sobriety tests and misinterpret the results. Breath and blood alcohol testing equipment can also malfunction. That is why to defend yourself, talk to a professional Tempe criminal defense lawyer.
These are the most prosecuted type of crimes. Your offense can be the possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia for personal use, possession of dangerous drugs for sale, or manufacturing of narcotic drugs.
The penalties for these offenses will vary depending on the drug involved, its quantity, and the purpose of possession. To ensure that you get the least life-damaging consequence, work with our expert criminal defense lawyer.
If ever you’re charged with a misdemeanor assault or felony aggravated assault, our criminal lawyer will expertly defend and handle every aspect of your case.
Our criminal attorney will walk you through the possible consequences of the type of assault that you’re charged with. And if it is your first offense, we will also work on dismissing your case with what is commonly known as a “diversion” agreement. Talk to our attorney to fully discuss your situation.
White Collar Crimes/Theft
Crimes identified as theft include obtaining by false pretense, larceny, burglary, theft of property, and embezzlement. White-collar crimes, on the other hand, are bribery, extortion, forgery, fraud, money laundering, perjury, racketeering, and tax evasion.
If you are facing accusations of any of the aforementioned crimes, it is best to work with a defense lawyer. That way, you can successfully defend yourself with them facilitating your defense strategy, like presenting factual innocence or absence of intent.
For a highly competent and highly compassionate Tempe criminal defense attorney that will fight the battle with you as your advisor and representative, The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC is here for you!
What To Do If You Are Arrested
Being arrested can be devastating and confusing, especially if you are in an altered state or innocent of any wrongdoing.
Most people naturally have a tendency to want to explain the circumstances and their side of the story when initially approached by the police, and these natural instincts are, unfortunately, not in your best interests.
You have nothing to explain, as you are presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty. You are under no obligation to attempt to prove your innocence, especially not before you fully understand the specific charges being brought against you and the potential punishment associated with the charges.
If you get arrested in Arizona, it’s important you understand how to best respond to the situation to preserve all avenues for defense.
- Stay calm and be polite. It is understandable that most people respond to the police with aggression, especially if you are an innocent party. However, being disrespectful and aggressive, especially in today’s sensitive climate, can have negative impacts on your defense and could even cost you your life. The best thing you can do is try to stay calm and respectfully decline to answer any questions until you are able to speak to our attorney.
- Invoke your right to remain silent. You have no legal obligation to offer or provide any information or details to the police. Overexplaining and trying to make sure your side of the story is heard can only hurt you at this point. It is vital that you sit and discuss the situation with your attorney prior to talking to the police. Your attorney can help you understand what information helps your case, what information is relevant to the investigation, and help you avoid making incriminating statements or providing inaccurate accounts of what occurred.
- Meet with your attorney. When first arrested and brought to your local police station, your best use of your one phone call is to reach out to a criminal defense attorney at The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC. The attorney will ask you specific questions, provide advice and answers to your questions, and can reach out to your family to make them aware of the situation. While first instincts may be to call your spouse, a parent, or a close friend, these individuals are not qualified to offer the advice you need to properly handle the situation you are facing. If you feel it is more important for you to use your phone call to speak with someone other than an experienced criminal lawyer, advise that person to reach out to one on your behalf.
Being arrested doesn’t mean the end of life as you know it. Being aware of your rights and making smart decisions regarding what you say to the police can help you avoid unnecessarily harsh consequences, but this is only one part of the equation. A legal expert who is dedicated to handling cases like yours can provide honest answers and wise advice that is based on experience, as well as fierce and dedicated representation. Your Tempe, AZ criminal defense attorney at The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC is dedicated to providing outstanding and effective legal support.
Arizona Criminal Defense Process
When arrested for a criminal offense in the state of Arizona, there is a specific process that is followed by the criminal justice system. Our attorney helps you anticipate and properly prepare for every step of the process. Severe crimes can carry severe penalties, so ensuring you have a talented legal team on your side as early in the defense process as possible can help you minimize the severity of your punishment.
The Arizona criminal justice process includes:
- Arraignment: The initial court appearance where the defendant is informed of the charges being brought against them, provided with the charging document, advised of their constitutional rights, and asked to enter their plea (guilty, not guilty, or no contest). At The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC, our attorney always files a Notice of Appearance, pleads not guilty, and sets a readiness hearing. We are then entitled to receive discovery from the prosecution, including police reports, body camera footage, pictures, witness statements, and other evidence that has been collected, so you and your lawyer can start building an effective defense.
- Negotiation: In some instances, plea bargains or reduced charges are able to be negotiated prior to a jury trial. Your lawyer help you understand the strength of the evidence against you, as well as the consequences of accepting or denying an offer from the district attorney so you can make the best possible choice for your unique legal situation.
- Preliminary Hearing: If negotiations do not result in acceptance of a plea bargain or other negotiated agreement, then the next step is the preliminary hearing. The judge is presented with the evidence that has been gathered by the prosecution and must make a determination regarding whether there is sufficient proof to justify a jury trial.
- Grand Jury Indictment: A grand jury may also be used to bring charges against you. They determine whether enough evidence or probable cause exists to move forward with charges against you.
- Pretrial Conference: Before your case is presented to a jury, you are provided with another opportunity to negotiate. If negotiation is not the route you want to take, then this meeting will be used to ensure all relevant information and evidence has been shared in accordance with the law.
- Jury Trial: If no settlement is reached during the pretrial conference, then your case is argued in front of a jury that is responsible for determining your guilt or innocence. There are several steps involved in this process, from jury selection to examining witnesses and jury deliberation.
The entire criminal justice process generally takes a couple of months from arrest to final outcome. Understanding the complexities of the criminal justice process can help you mentally prepare for what is ahead of you; however, nothing can replace the guidance and support of an accomplished Tempe criminal defense attorney, like the legal professionals at The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC.
Whether you’re facing drug charges, DUI, violent crime charges, or other felony offenses, The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC is fully equipped to aggressively fight for your rights and freedom.
Let’s Talk Now- Free Consultation
Here at The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC, our Tempe criminal defense attorney is dedicated to achieving a less severe outcome for your criminal case. Whether you are facing large fines or a hefty prison sentence, whether innocent or guilty of the criminal charges brought against you, our goal is to minimize the disruption that criminal charges have on your life.
Whether you need an aggressive defender or a clever negotiator, our sharp defense lawyer has the experience and resources to provide and deliver on a solid plan of action that is specific to your case, the facts surrounding it, and your desired results.
Call The Law Office of Joshua A. Lopez, LLC today at (480) 630-1143 for your Free Consultation!